Hello world, it’s been a while. It’s been one hell of a year that has passed us. And during this year of turmoil, I was absent. I’m sorry for not informing you of what I was up to, or why is switched off. I went silent during this world pandemic, Covid-19 was an emotional roll a coaster for myself and everyone around me.
For us, in New Zealand, our government took away our liberties, but we were all willing. Sacrificing temporary freedom was a no brainer. We were only allowed to go outside for exercise and buying essential goods. Travel was restricted and quickly two weekends of lockdown turned into months. Work stopped, income for many of us halted. I desperately wanted to document our country during this pandemic, but the only registered journalists were allowed to go outside and on the empty street.
March was a hell of a month. I lost all my drive, motivation and momentum. I wasn’t allowed to travel to remote destinations for my photography so I just stopped. All I could think about was my health my family and if I could put food on the table. My creative drive was replaced with survival.
A year has now passed and our country has lifted our rights. We can now travel and congregate again. We are lucky in our little country at the end of the world. Blessed with short term pain for the betterment of our people. And blessed with fellow neighbours that cared for one another’s betterment.
It’s only now that I am ready to put pen to paper again. This December & January was the first time I picked up the camera again. It’s the first time I’ve left my city to travel across our beautiful land. It’s only now I feel normal again, myself, stable.
I’m sorry for all the radio silence over this time. But I had to take care of myself. And now that I’m physically and mentally healthy I’m ready to share and be with you again on this creative journey. A journey of life, love, community and creativity. So if your struggling I’m here, if your lost I’m here, to share my perspective and listen to yours.
Happy new year, I mean it, because we all need it.
Top 10 posts
- Why I got rid of my photography gear (revisited)
- Can better photography gear make you a better photographer?
- Why I only use one lens
- The internet is killing your photography
- 10 ways to develop your photographic style
- Find your Zen camera
- Film vs Digital, lets put it to the test
- How do I find my photography style?
- Camera fundamentals
- Are you a photographer or just a camera operator
- The only camera I need
- The Zen Photographer – Leica.com
- Can better gear make you a better photographer? – PetaPixel.com
- Why I got rid of my photography gear (revisited) – PetaPixel.com
- How to Find Your Photographic Style – PetaPixel.com
- Limiting your gear makes your photography better – DIYPhotography.net
- The ways of Zen photography – PetaPixel.com
- How to shoot minimalist photos – PetaPixel.com
- Internet addiction is killing your photography – DigitalRev.com
- Have I finally found the perfect camera? – DIYPhotography.net
- Are you a photographer or, just a camera operator – PetaPixel.com
- Why I got rid of my photography gear – PetaPixel.com
- Finding style and voice in photography – Leica.com
- Use deliberate practice to find your photographic style – PetaPixel.com
- Why I only use one lens – PetaPixel.com
- Your camera already has the most important – PetaPixel.com